Finding Opportunities in the Arts for Diversity
Diversity. The unique elements of who we are. We all come from many different cultures and backgrounds. The beauty of the arts and the way in which it has, and continues to bring us together is in constant growth. Through opportunities of expression and representation, the diverse makeup of Hollywood expands day by day. How do you as a performer find these opportunities for diversity in the arts? Read below for a helpful guide by industry:
For the theatre community, there are a number of groups and resources to join, learn from, and support. The impact of these groups and organizations within each community continues to contribute to the presence of diversity in stage. Here is a list of resources for the varying communities that represent diversity on stage.
- American Theatre Org. – Black Theatres Across the U.S.
- Black Theatre Matters Org.
- Black Theatre Network
- National Disability Theatre
- Theatre Companies Celebrating Actors with Disabilities
- National Asian American Theatre Co
- Asian American Arts Alliance
- Asian American Performers Action Coalition
- Latin Theatre in the U.S.
- Latin American Center for Creation and Theatrical Research
- LatinX Theatre Companies
- Multi-Cultural Theatre Companies throughout the U.S.
- Regional Companies Leading the Charge in Gay Theatre
- Pride Youth Theatre Alliance
Hollywood has seen an influx of opportunities for cultural diversity in recent years. With a change of pace in usual casting routines, the growth of a more open and representative Tinseltown beckons forward. There are a number of annual casting calls for diversity as well as groups and organizations that aid the effort. These resources have been listed below.
- Black Hollywood Education and Resource Center
- National Association of Black Actors
- Center for Asian American Media
- Asian American Artists Foundation
- Multicultural Motion Picture Association (MMPA)
- Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors (HOLA)
- National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts
- Women In Film (WIF)
- Abilities Unlimited
- Respect Ability
- Disability Support
While these resources are just the tip of the iceberg for opportunities of diversity, it lays the groundwork for change. From the stage to the screen, there a groups and sources of knowledge to keep you connected to these varying communities.